Why Does Jesus Do That?
The story of Jesus walking on the water is one of the most well-known and loved stories of all time. Don't you think? My son, Zach did. When he was 5 years old, he was playing "church" in our living room and he preached about Jesus and Peter walking on the water. We love how he keeps saying "Why does Jesus do that?"
It's actually a pretty insightful question. So, his dad answered it in a sermon 19 years later. You can listen to it here if you want. But, be assured, the sermon isn't nearly as good and the preacher isn't nearly as cute. In the mean time, enjoy the 3 minute video of Zach preaching (with come clarifications listed below).
1. Zach had no idea that I was video taping him (yes, I was video "taping" him. This was 1996, we didn't have iPhones back then). At the beginning, I hid in the bathroom and he could tell I was in there because he looks over several times. Then, to get a better shot, I sat on the living room floor and acted like I was fixing the camera.
2. There is no Luke 28 :-)
3. Zach was 5 years old at the time, don't let him fool you by looking at his Bible... he can't read.
4. Toward the end, you'll see Zach lean over in exasperation and say, "Why is church so long?" Ha! Doesn't every 5 year old think that! Shoot, some of the adult members of our church think that! Anyway, some context might help... If you listen, you'll hear a voice in the background throughout the video. I was watching Adrian Rogers preaching on tv that day and I think that Zach was trying to preach the whole time Dr. Rogers was preaching... and with the same passion.
6. That's Janey you see walking around toward the end. She woke up from a nap just in time to "responded to the invitation."
7. We have no idea who "Greg Ellies" is.
8. Thanks, Zach, for a great sermon and for giving us permission to share this video.