Appointing New Deacons
We praise God for Jay and Jonathan who will join Caleb in serving our church as deacons. In order to highlight the significance of the role and responsibilities of deacons, we set time aside in our worship service this past Sunday to formally appoint them.
Elders (standing): Tim, Rob, Joe
Deacons (kneeling): Jay, Jonathan
Winchester Baptist Church
1. The Scriptures teach that a deacon must “hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.” With a clear conscience, do you reaffirm your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and hold to His Gospel as it is defined in our confession of faith?
2. You have been called to the office of deacon because you have proven yourself to be blameless, reputable, and full of the Spirit and of wisdom. By God’s grace, will you continue to walk in a manner that is worthy of the Gospel?
3. Deacons are qualified to be servant-leaders in God’s church in so far as they demonstrate they are servant-leaders in their home. Will you continue to be faithful to your wife and lead your home in a manner that displays the gospel and glory of Christ?
4. Deacons are charged with the responsibility of caring for the physical and practical concerns of the church so that the elders are free to focus on shepherding and teaching the church. Will you serve your elders and your church in this way?
5. Brothers, we have an enemy that seeks to divide the church because the glory of Christ is displayed in unity. Will you use your office to build unity and protect against division in this body?
6. Will you now accept the office of deacon out of a love for God, a desire to serve this church, and a commitment to promote the gospel and the glory of Christ?
May you serve well as a deacon and thereby, gain a good standing for yourself and a great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
[Deacon Pledge is a reflection of Acts 6:1-6 and 1 Timothy 3:8-13]