Gospel-Fuel For Our Struggle Against Temptation
Sometimes I wonder if anyone else struggles with temptation as much as I do, if anyone else is a weak as I am, if anyone else's sin is as deep and wicked and shameful as mine. Maybe you feel the same.
Our struggle against temptation and sin can fuel discouragement. But the temptation of Jesus fuels our hope with the Gospel: In His grace, God sent Jesus to experience temptation with us, to conquer sin for us, and to demonstrate warfare to us.
8 Ways the Temptation of Jesus Fuels Our Struggle Against Temptation:
Matthew 4:1-11 Listen to Sermon
1. Temptation is the universal experience of every human.
v1 Then Jesus...
2. Temptation is ordained by God to accomplish His purposes in your life.
v1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted
3. Temptation to sin comes from the devil and everything in us that wars against God.
v1 to be tempted by the devil
v3 and the tempter came
4. Temptation is a war that is fought in the spirit and the battle can be won by the Spirit.
v2 And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry…
5. Temptation is a lie that suggests we can have what we want apart from God.
v3 And the tempter came and said to him...
v6 and the devil said to him...
v9 And the devil said to him...
6. Temptation is resisted with the truth of the Word of God.
v4 But Jesus answered, “It is written,
v7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written...
v10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written...
7. Temptation can be resisted because Jesus defeated sin and Satan.
v11 Then the devil left him,
8. Temptation resisted now brings a greater wealth and reward in Christ in the future.
v11 and behold, angels came and were ministering to him.
SUMMARY: Here’s Gospel-Hope for your struggle with temptation and sin...
Jesus is THE GREAT HIGH PRIEST who experienced TEMPTATION with His people. Temptation is no longer a wilderness for those who are in Christ. We can draw near to Jesus in the midst of our temptation and He will give us grace to help in our time of need.
Jesus is THE GREAT SAVIOR who conquered SIN for His people. Sin has no power to condemn or control those who are in Christ.
Jesus is THE GREAT EXAMPLE who demonstrated WARFARE to His people. Temptation is resistible for those who are in Christ because of the power of His Blood, His Spirit and His Word.
"When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me."